I thought I was smart...isn't that cute!

If this next chapter of my life was going to have a quick summary, it might go a little something like this...


It's got drama (will the embryos make it to blast?), it's got comedy (giving yourself an injection in a cramped bathroom stall at work is hilarious!), it's got plotline and conflict, drama and tears...It's "Ja-Adam's IVF" and it's coming to a small screen near you.


We've been talking about IVF for over a year now and well...the time for talking is done and I have to tell you, I am a big ball of rolled up emotional/crazy/nutty/happy/scared Janet. I've been searching the interwebs for months now for information and wow..the interwebs can be a very weird and scary place, also funny but yeah, mostly weird. I've been trying to learn the correct IVF terms & definitions in an attempt to make it at least sound like I know what I am talking about. Here's a sampling:


AF - Aunt Flo - not always a welcome friend, a necessary evil.
BCP - Birth Control Pills - they were great for making my 35 year old skin look 35 and not look like a hormonal teenager! 
BFP or BFN - Big Fat Positive or a Big Fat Negative - BFP, BFP, BFP!!
BW - Bloodwork - suppose I should get used to this hey.
CD - Cycle Day - just the beginning
CM - Cervical Mucus - ummmm...ewww...
DE - Donor Eggs - lucky enough to be using my own but "old" eggs as a loving family member once told me when we were discussing having a baby "Your may feel young Janet but your eggs are old" *Gasp*
DH - Darling Husband - not technically married but he's a darling just the same. How about Darling Hunk?
DPR - Days Post Retrieval -
DPT - Days Post Transfer
DS - Donor Sperm 
DX - Diagnosis - that I am Officially Just A Little Off Kilter! To my friends who know me...not a big surprise!
FET - Frozen Embryo Transfer - hoping we get some little embies to freeze
FSH - Follicle-Stimulating Hormone - sounds ummmm...hormonal!
HCG - Human Chorionic Gonadotropin - three little letters that hold such weight
HPT - Home Pregnancy Test - I wonder...does Costco give a discount on these when bought in large quantity?
ICSI = Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection 
IUI - Intrauterine Insemination
IVF - Invitro Fertilization - only way we are going to make a baby!
M/C - Miscarriage - please no, not for me, not for anyone
MF - Male Factor - all good and he is quite proud!
OHSS - Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome - must read more about this
OPK - Ovulation Predictor Kit 
PCOS - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome 
POAS - Peeing on a Stick - wondering how likely it will be that I pee more on my hands that I do on the stick.
POF - Premature Ovarian Failure
PGD- Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis 
Prog or P4 - Progesterone 
PUPO - Pregnant Until Proven Otherwise
RE - Reproductive Endocrinologist
SA - Semen Analysis - something that DH..."darling hunk" isn't too happy about doing but really...it's nothing compared to what us women have to do!
TTC - Trying to Conceive 
U/S - Ultrasound



I am sure that are oodles more that I might be missing but hey...this is going to be a learning process!


I think I need this Book!









Comments

  1. Get ready to take the crazy/hormonal/nutty etc. to a whole new level. I remember thinking, who is this monster, what happened to me, when in the throws of hormone shots. My husband was a rock and dealt with me amazingly well (complete with a pre-injection dance daily). He read a book called How to Make Love to a Plastic Cup and there was a great chapter or two in there on how to support me and deal with the crazy woman that I turned into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the book recommendation, we'll definitely pick it up! We'll be starting someone around the middle of May..exciting & scary! Your blog has been a great source of information..thank you for that!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What are you thinking about? I'd love to hear what you have to say...

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Secrets

Unexpected?

Dilemma