Out of Place

I went to Costco this week...I needed vitamins.

When I go to Costco, I feel out of place. I feel as though I don’t belong and that everyone else is in on a secret but won’t tell me. I feel like there are procedures I'm unaware of, a dress code nobody told me about, or some sort of … apparently indescribable something I was never informed about. There’s this looming feeling that everyone’s looking at me, men, women, children … everyone. It doesn't matter. They’re all in on it.

I'm most comfortable in grocery stores, probably from how often I’ve had to go into them (Adam would agree with this). Followed by Chapter's and then every other retail store of every possible kind.

But Costco...that a different matter.

For those of you who don’t know, Costco is one of those bulk stores that sell everything in quantities of a million. You want Kleenex? Here’s 15 large boxes all wrapped up together. Toilet paper? Here are enough rolls that you will actually bring the last half of these with you when you move to your next home four years from now.

At any rate, I went to Costco to get one thing. Vitamin's and as it turns out...granola bars cause they looked really good but it'll likely take me two years to work my way though the box.

I bought just those two things. When I was standing in line I felt like people were staring at me like I was a pariah. The people with 12 boxes of frozen pizza, a jug of chocolate sauce, pump-action shampoo bigger than my arm, and 8 cans of whipped cream...they’re staring at me like I'm the freak.

I felt so out of place! What about you...do you shop at Costco?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Secrets

Unexpected?

Dilemma