And Just Like That He's Three

Dear Lochlan,

Today you turn three years old, and it's hard for me to believe where the years have gone. It's been...

94,780,800 seconds
1,579,680 minutes
26,328 hours
1097 days
156 weeks and 5 days

since the day you were born and I still remember delivering you in the hospital and seeing your big beautiful eyes look into mine for the very first time. "Hi Little Loch," I said with tears in my eyes, "I'm your mama. It's so nice to meet you!"

I remember being so worried about giving you love and attention around the clock and instilling good eating habits for later on in life. We sang songs, danced around the house, read books, played peek-a-boo. Those were the days that you relied on me for everything...

Now you're three years-old and have become quite the independent little boy. You look in the refrigerator to grab your own food when you're hungry (even if mom doesn't approve of your first choice), you insist on climbing the stairs all by yourself, and enjoy playing make believe on your own with your cars, trains, and trucks.

It seems that each year you become cuter and cuter. I love the things you say and do, and everyday you provide me with hours of entertainment. Just for you my Loch, I'd like to write again about just a few (of many) things I love about you...

I love when you tell me that you love me
This was the first year that those three little words came out of your mouth. (Actually, four words.) "I love you, Mama," you respond to me after I tell you how much I love you. Or, sometimes you say, "I love you back!" You always say it with the most perfect smile on your face, and I can always count on getting a hug afterwards. I love those hugs!

I love your passion for things
Lochlan, when you love something...you really love it. You have two passions in life at this very moment. You love pretending that you are a Tonka driver and that you go to the job site every morning.

I love how sweet and thoughtful you are
There's no question that the two's are a difficult stage both for toddlers and parents. There were times that you'd throw yourself on the floor kicking and screaming when you didn't get your way. Other times you'd stomp your foot, run away from me, or screech at the top of your lungs. I'd pray that these temper tantrums wouldn't last long (especially when they were in public), and I'd pray that I was doing everything right to make these teachable moments instead of losing my own temper. "Don't scream," I'd tell you and wait for your apology. I know that these days aren't over yet. There will be more days ahead. However, just a week ago, you taught me that all my "parenting" is working. I told you that you had to take a bath. Since you didn't feel like it, you began to go down the stairs instead of in the bathroom. "Loch, don't you want to be clean?" I asked.

"No, I'm fine!" you yelled, wrapping your arms around yourself in a scolding manner.

"Lochlan, we can't have you dirty. You have to be clean," I said again patiently.

"No, I'm fine!" you told me again before stepping off the stairs into the living room.

I took a breath. I finished letting the bathtub water run when all of a sudden, you started walking up the stairs on your own. Before greeting me again at the top of the staircase, you said, "I'm sorry, Mama. I take my bath now".

I was happy. My little boy thought about his actions and realized he was wrong for giving me a hard time. My heart melted.

I love that you refer to yourself in the third person
For a short time, you referred to yourself as "Loch Loch." I think this came from daycare. However, after a few months, you insisted that you were not "Loch Loch". "I'm Lochlan!" You'd say proudly. After that, everything became about Lochlan... Here are some of my favorite quotes...

"Don't cry Mama. Loch is here."

"My Tonka. Lochlan's Tonka."

"Hey kids," (to your friends at daycare), "Lochlan's here!"

I love that you have a photographic memory for driving and directions
I'm amazed at your interest in "playing car", and especially amazed that when we drive anywhere you have a keen sense of where we are. If we head in one direction, you proudly announce that we need to go "that way" to Sarah's house, "that way" to the space park, or "that way" to Frank's. If we drive in another direction, you already tell me you want to go "that way" to Merivale or "that way" to the other park we visit. If I had to guess, I'd say you know how to "drive" to at least 15 different locations. If I had a lapse in memory, I'd be able to rely on you to tell me "what way" I need to drive home.

Bonus...I love that you hold my hand
Your independent spirit means you don't often want to hold me hand but lately you'll politely tell me, "Hand Mama, let's hold hands." How can I resist? When we go places, you are good about holding my hand, and again, my heart melts to have your little hand in mine. Sure sometimes you want to "drag" me to places because of your excitement, but nonetheless, you hold my hand. It's amazing how something so simple can be so meaningful!

Happy 3rd Birthday Lochlan James ☺













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Secrets

When I Was Your Age...

Dilemma