How Do You Say Goodbye?

Whether you are saying goodbye to someone you love, someone you have met briefly, someone who has touched your life through their story or someone who has been a big part of your life in some way, it’s not easy.

People very often say that once someone has died after an illness, that it’s good that they are no longer in pain. I for one am a big believer of this. I have to be. I want to believe that Winston and Poppy are somewhere up there feeling young and free, and out of the terrible state of pain that was so much a part of their life...especially at the end. I want to believe that they are both up in heaven, happily chatting away to the loved ones that arrived before them, free of pain and getting instructions on how they are now going to look after everyone still earth side who need her guidance. I want to believe that Frank (Poppy) is strolling hand in hand with his beloved Joan Joseph and that Winston is enjoying a beer and a laugh as I smile down here at the recollection of flushing his photo down the toilet when I was 10 or 11 after he told me he had flushed mine ☺

You see, when we say goodbye to someone who has left this Earth, there has to be a ‘better place’ that they have gone to, otherwise how could we go on living ourselves?

Everyone says goodbye in their own way. Everyone has their own beliefs of what happens to someone once they pass away. There is no right or wrong answer when you ask the question, “How do you say goodbye?” You just need to know that when you say goodbye, that person is in a happy place, without pain and still smiling down on you every single day that you are thinking about them and missing them.

But what if saying goodbye doesn't work for you?

Goodbye doesn't work for me. I choose not to say goodbye but to say "See you later" or "until next time". The recent loss of Winston reminds me of one of my favorites quotes about goodbyes from my favorite childhood character, Peter Pan...

"Never say goodbye, because saying goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting."

and I will never ever forget them. Ever.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Secrets

When I Was Your Age...

Dilemma