Down The Rabbit Hole


“I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it”

This is one of my favourite quotes from Alice In Wonderland. It is a very special quote because it rings true in several areas of my life.

I recently read Alice in Wonderland again, and afterwards watched the Disney version of the movie. If you've never watched it, I would suggest it. Sure there's a hookah-smoking Caterpillar, Alice eating mushrooms and chasing the White Rabbit, and what many would describe as psychedelic trips –  but there are quite a few lessons to be learned. Here are my favourites.

Always Remain Calm - Alice falls down the rabbit hole and has no idea where she will end up, but she remains very calm. As you watch her descend, she never really seems to become unnerved. She even takes a moment to take in the oddness of the things around her. When faced with this matter she adapts quickly and forges forward into the unknown and rolls with the punches.
~ I need to remain calm this cycle.

Know Where You Want To Go - One of my favourite scenes in this movie is the conversation between Alice and the Cheshire Cat when Alice comes to a crossroads. Alice asks the Cheshire Cat which way she should go and the cat responds by saying, it depends on where she wants to go. When Alice responds that she doesn't care where, the Cheshire Cat simply replies “then it doesn't matter which way you go”. This dialogue always reminds me to have a plan. If I don’t have a destination or goal in mind, I have no directions and without directions, I get nowhere. 
~ I need to remind myself of the bigger picture whilst in the midst of TTC.

I think we should all have the courage to be like Alice. Some may argue that Alice didn't speak up enough...allowing her self to be pushed around by talking doorknobs, eating mushrooms under the directions of others, and being told what to do by the mysterious creatures of Wonderland. I think Alice just went with the flow, allowed her curiosity to be her guide, didn't sweat the small things, and enjoyed the ride.
~ I need to just go with the flow.

We should never take life too seriously. We should take the time to live in the moment and enjoy all experiences as they come. The truth is we all have had and will have rabbit hole days because life happens.



Comments

  1. Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit. A favorite song based on a favorite book. I love a bit of Alice.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. I will try to remember all this too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What are you thinking about? I'd love to hear what you have to say...

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Secrets

When I Was Your Age...

Dilemma