Level II Ultrasound

Today I am 22 weeks 5 days pregnant!

This morning we had our Level II ultrasound and OB appointment. Why a Level II you might be wondering...I have a PFO (patent foramen ovale) a small hole in my heart. It's a congenital heart defect. Because of this, baby automatically gets a Level II.

While baby's heart and all of his other bits look great, we discovered that I have a marginal cord insertion. What this means is that the umbilical cord is attached near the edge of the placenta instead of the usual spot, which is in the middle. As it stands now, maintain the status quo. Once I enter the 3rd trimester, I'll have extra monitoring and appointments in the high risk clinic at the hospital.  A marginal cord insertion raises the risk of baby not getting what he needs and could result in lower birth weight so we will keep a close watch to ensure that he's growing properly. My OB  assured us that while this raises the risk some, most pregnancies proceed normally with a baby delivered at term.

I love the little hand and knee up by his face

The rest of my OB appointment went very well...I've gained 15 pounds, blood pressure is fantastic and I'm feeling pretty good. Next appointment and ultrasound are June 18th. Until then...hang out and continue to grow my tiny human!

Anyone else have any experience with a marginal cord insertion?




Comments

  1. Sounds like things are going well, hopefully the cord won't pose a problem and you be baking that little guy for many many more weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute ultrasound picture of your little guy! Sounds like you are both in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable ultrasound picture, as usual! I hope the marginal cord insertion just means more opportunities to see little man and nothing more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lookin' good mama! 22 weeks already? wowzers. I haven't had any experience but I will be praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had marginal insertion with my last pregnancy. They kept an eye on it (yay more ultrasounds) but it turned out to be a non-issue. That babe looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What are you thinking about? I'd love to hear what you have to say...

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Secrets

When I Was Your Age...

Dilemma