A Word, Not A Resoultion

I often overhear people discussing what their goals are for the New Year. Resolutions come in so many different forms. Read more, drink less, exercise five days a week. Spend more time with friends and family, spend less money on frivolous items, eat healthy foods. The overall theme that can be found in each resolution is "more of something" or "less of something" and usually involves some sort of self improvement.

I have been asked twice this week what is my New Year’s Resolution. Honestly, I’ve just never been a New Year’s resolution kind of girl.

I think here are a few reasons why...

I Really Value Promises
To me, a resolution is a promise, and I don’t make promises lightly. Maybe I’m taking this all too seriously, but I can’t seem to do otherwise. I just don’t like to make a commitment I might not be able to keep. Not even to myself.

No Shoulds
If there’s one thing I know for sure, it’s that I don't experience my best self when I’m following a “should.” When I’m doing something purely out of obligation or compliance, I become resentful, cranky, and lazy. At one point in my life, this was my primary way of functioning. But since I broke free and took ownership of my decisions, my “should” radar is strong. Basically, if I pick up on the message that I “should” make a New Year’s resolution, I very likely won’t. This might not be the healthiest reason to make a choice, but at least it’s a choice. And I’m sticking to it.

My Personal Growth Doesn't Follow Calendar Time
I absolutely believe in making improvements, setting goals, and implementing disciplines. But my need for that kind of structure rarely shows up on January 1. For me, growth means paying attention to what is needed during any given season or moment and adjusting as I go.

Instead of resolutions, I’ve decided to embrace the trend of choosing a word for the new year

I haven’t chosen a word yet for 2018, but it might have something to do with letting go. Late last year we moved into a new home and unrelated to the organizing/making a house feel like a home, my son Nathan (my sidekick & humor buddy) moved himself and most of his belongings 450 kilometers away to Toronto. Lochlan (my wee sidekick & humor buddy) will of course keep me busy but suddenly, I feel like I'll have more space and time to fill.

I'll let you know when I've chosen my word for 2018. 

What about you? Do you make a New Year's Resolution?








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Secrets

Dilemma

When I Was Your Age...