Why?

Why is it so shocking when someone does something nice for someone else for absolutely no reason at all?


Let me explain...

This morning, like yesterday morning, I hit up the McDonald's drive thru for an iced coffee and an egg McMuffin (I've stayed up too late and haven't been able to drag my arse out of bed in time to a "real" breakfast at home...don't judge...we've all been there) Anywho...I placed my order and drove up to pay and noticed a van behind me. I spoke to the nice lady at the window...

"Good morning...I would like to pay for my order and theirs". I'm thinking not a big deal, it's just breakfast.
"Umm, I'm not sure, do you know them, why?" she stammered.
"I have no idea who they are, complete strangers but I would still like to pay for their breakfast"

She was shocked and surprised but after some convincing, agreed to let me pay for both. As I drove away I got to thinking...

Why was she so shocked? It wasn't a big deal to me but clearly is was to her. It both surprised and saddened me. As a society, have we become that cold and unfeeling towards one another that it's "shocking" when someone does something nice for a complete stranger?
Honestly I didn't give much thought to what I did. It's Friday, it's the start of a long weekend and it was a warm and sunny morning. It just seemed like a nice thing to do.


Did it change their day? Did they stop to appreciate my kindness? I don't know. I don't care. It doesn't matter. The point is...even if they didn't...it cost me $5.29. I probably would have blown it on something stupid anyway.

Aesop Quote Art Print by Crafts & Dogs via Etsy


Comments

  1. I love it when people show kindness to complete strangers! Such a wonderful gift on a Friday morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there was a bit more of this sort of thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely thing to do... such a kind heart xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree, what a lovely action. A couple of weeks ago I was standing at the checkout line and the person in front of me was short 2 cents and I offered to pay. The cashier was dumbfounded...But it seemed like the most normal thing to do [for me]! I found your blog recently and look fwd to reading more of your story. So far I love reading along!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What are you thinking about? I'd love to hear what you have to say...

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Secrets

Dilemma

Unexpected?