I'm A Snob
A book snob that is.
I've come to notice quite a few bookish habits that aren't necessarily good ones...
- All the books in a series must be in the same format. I own "Matched" by Ally Condie in hard cover so I must own book two "Crossed" in hard cover. I'm weird like that. They also have to sit in order on the bookshelf.
- I'm a cover snob. I will sometimes overlook books if they have a terrible cover. I'm pretty certain that I am missing out on some great reads by doing this.
- I spend too much time looking at how far along I am in a book, and how much I have left to read. I should just enjoy the ride and quit worrying about whether or not the book is too long or too short.
- I buy more books, even though I have stacks of unread ones. I need to read what I have first. This is a problem!
- Sometimes I read too fast and don't take the time to savour a book. This happens with books I have been anticipating for a long time.
- I can't take a break from a book until I'm at a chapter break. That sucks if I'm exhausted and in the middle of a really long chapter. I end up not even remembering some things because of this.
- I absolutely must to read a book's back cover summary before reading it (even if I read it before I bought it) because I can't stand going into a book blind, with no idea about what's going to happen.
- I don't give myself enough time to reflect on a book before I start a new one.
- Sometimes I judge a book too quickly, and it taints my opinion of the book before I've given it a chance.
- If I don't like a book, I still make myself finish it. I need to learn that it's okay to abandon a book for good. Reading is not a job, and I can quit anytime I want to without penalty.
- If I really want to read a book, but don't know what, I'll go to my shelves and look for something. As I try to decide, sometimes I get so overwhelmed by the many choices I have, that I give up and watch a movie instead.
|Books for Sale along the Seine by Rebecca Plotnick via Etsy|
What about you? Do you have any bad bookish habits?