Talking Myself Through It

Researchers know that depressive people tend to see the world through a negative lens. For instance, on an unusually hot day in the summer, a well-adjusted person might think, “This is a perfect pool day!” A depressive person like me will think, “Definitely global warming. The world is going to end soon.” 


Over the years, I learned to counter my unrealistic negativity when it crops up by constantly feeding myself more positive, realistic thoughts. At first, I didn’t think it would work, but then I told myself that it was just my Negative Voice talking.  Anyway, I've been trying this positive affirmation business and trust me, I've needed to use it A LOT in the last year...and it works amazingly well. Here are some of the things that I tell myself...

When Life Feels Too Hard

  • “Everything always works out eventually. This will, too. And if it doesn’t work out, that means I’m dead, so it won’t matter anyway.”
  • “Anything is possible, even this.
  • “Just put one foot in front of the other.”
When I’m Too Scared to Take a Risk
  • “It’s better to try and fail than to not try at all.”
  • “I need to do this. Otherwise I’ll always wonder, ‘What if I’d had the courage?’”
When I’m Lusting After Something I Can’t Afford
  • “If I had that, I’d probably be really unhappy.”
  • "When I get it home I won't love it nearly as much."
When I’m Wallowing in Self Pity
  • “Build a bridge and get over it.”
  • “There are much worse things than this.”
  • “This, too, shall pass.”
When I Feel Overwhelmed
  • “I’ll get it all done. I just might not get it all done today.”
  • “Am I really going to care about this when I am on my deathbed?”


What kinds of things do you tell yourself when life gets a little tough?

Change Your Thoughts by Fresh Words Market via Etsy



Comments

  1. "Are you alive? Do you have your clothes on? Yes? Anything else, we can deal with." One of my coworkers said this to me one day and it's become a mantra! Even though she was joking at the time - it works!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What are you thinking about? I'd love to hear what you have to say...

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Secrets

When I Was Your Age...

Dilemma