Nineteen Twenty Three

May 8th, 1923...on this date 90 years ago my Poppy (grandfather) Frank Wesley was born. 

This morning, Adam and I board a flight home to St. John's, Newfoundland to celebrate his birthday.

Here's a letter to my Poppy on his 90th Birthday...

Dear Poppy,

Let me simply say that I look at you as a hero, as my hero. You are an amazing man, one that I admire and appreciate and love. You showed me how to have fun, how to enjoy life, what family means, what leadership and sacrifice and responsibility and joy means. You have given me the very essence of how I perceive life and I cannot express how profoundly grateful I am for all that you have done. 

I have so many memories of the kindness, and love and fun that you brought to my life over the years. How they've shaped me into the person that I am today. Many of the best memories are the simplest. Like my fond memory of the crate of oranges that you kept in the side room when we were little. Or all the times you'd give us some coins to skip down to the little store at the corner of Middle Battery Road to buy candy.

Simple, perfect, ever lasting memories.

Thank you Poppy for all of those and many, many more memories and your love. For being my hero. I love you from the bottom of my heart. You are a great man and I am so fortunate and proud to be your granddaughter.

With love,
Janet Lynn

I'm excited...Adam has never been home to Newfoundland with me...it'll be fantastic! I'll be back in a few days. In the meantime...have a great week you lovely peoples!

Happy Birthday Poppy

Comments

  1. Aaahh, that's lovely. Have a great trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your Poppy! Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap I thought I was the only infertile Newfie around these parts! Have fun at home, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday to your poppy! such a beautiful letter! hope you and adam *and poppy* have a wonderful time together! xoxox
    maria

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What are you thinking about? I'd love to hear what you have to say...

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Secrets

When I Was Your Age...

Dilemma